RE: Grease in the front hubs (long)

To: " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Grease in the front hubs (long)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:38:32 -0700
> The question is, why is there any grease in the hub at all other than that
> which is on the bearings, properly packed?

Some people seem to like to put a lot of grease in there ... doesn't really
hurt anything so if it makes them happy ...

> Will the grease that is in the
> recess ever migrate from this recess to the bearings

No.

> and even if it did, would
> this be a "good thing".

Might be, if it ever happened.

> The TR-3 manual was silent on the issue in
> the section
> describing the hub assembly but when I turned to the lubrication
> section the
> manual recommended 5 strokes of a grease gun every 5000 miles.

I believe that applied only to very early TR2, which reportedly had grease
zerks on the front hubs (although some have expressed doubt that they were,
in fact, ever delivered with the zerks installed).

> The TR-6
> is the only one that doesn't, on the surface, make sense. The
> TR-6 hubs don't
> have grease nipples and they want you to "Partially pack the hub
> with grease."
> I can only ask why? Opinions????

I've always thought it was a mistranslation or mistake somewhere along the
line.  Note that the hubs are identical from late TR3 (with disc brakes)
until TR6.  The TR4 factory workshop manual contains the line "Pack the
rollers and hubs with grease, working it well into the rollers", which seems
to imply the hub should be fully packed with grease.  I can only surmise
that someone meant only to smear some grease onto the outer races in the
hub.

In any case, I've always greased my TR3A "normally", ie no grease in the hub
at all, only a generous amount hand-packed into the bearings.  I think I've
changed front wheel bearings once in 20 years, and they probably didn't need
it then ...

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (back on the road, woo hoo!)
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wanna be (waiting for J-type transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly