RE: Electrical resistance in solenoid

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electrical resistance in solenoid
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:08:59 -0700
> It appears the problem has now been isolated to the electrics (surprise
> surprise!!). Apparently the solenoid will activate but without enough
> effort to engage the OD. The auto electrician needs to know the
> electrical
> resistance required in the solenoid to activate the lever to
> engage the OD
> (his words), if all that makes sense.

An odd way to put it ... but tell the electrician that the solenoid
resistance should be about 0.5 ohm (yes, that's 1/2 ohm, a very small value)
until the plunger is seated inside the solenoid, and then it should rise to
something like 10-15 ohms.

Note that there should also be a stop that limits the outward travel of the
solenoid plunger.  I don't recall the total allowed travel offhand, but it's
not very large.  This and many other details can be found at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/AOD/AOD5/AOD5.htm

Randall