RE: Thank you and now.....

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thank you and now.....
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:43:03 -0700
>   My wipers are slower than grandma!  When I turn them on, they
> don't squeek, cry, groan or smoke at the motor, they're just REAL
> slow.  Is this in the motor or the gears?  Any help/opinions will
> be greatly appreciated.

IMO first thing to check is the voltage at the motor.  With the engine off,
but the motor running, you should see at least 11 volts at the motor.
(Don't recall offhand what the connector looks like on a 71 TR6, you may
have to be creative when connecting your voltmeter.  But most times, you can
just jamb the probes into the cavities of the connector.)  If the voltage is
lower, you've got some electrical detective work to do.

Next, I'd disassemble, clean and lubricate the motor, it's gearbox, and the
rack.  You may have to remove the wiper arms, but on some TRs you can just
lift them to their vertical position (away from the windscreen) and let them
turn as you pull the rack out of it's tube.  Clean all the old grease off
the rack, give it a generous coat of new grease, then reinsert it.  It
should go in easily, turning the wiper shafts with minimum force.  (I think
there's a spec in the book of just a few ounces of pull to move the rack,
but I don't the book handy)  If it's stiff, then you've likely got some
damage to the tubes the rack runs in, or possibly one of the wheelbox shafts
is binding.

No rocket science here, should be obvious how to disassemble & reassemble
things.  It's marginally possible that the motor itself is bad (weak magnets
perhaps), but much more likely that slow running is due to either mechanical
binding in the mechanism or low voltage delivered to the motor.

Randall