Voltage Regulator / Ammeter Question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Voltage Regulator / Ammeter Question
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 18:53:28 -0500
Greetings...

I've been paying attention to my ammeter lately (since it seems to like to
dance around wildly at times), and I'm sure it's trying to tell me
something.  Unfortunately, I'm somewhat electrically challenged, so perhaps
one of you can help interpret.

Here's what I've observed:

While driving along at 40-50 mph the ammeter will read about half-way
between 0 and +30 (+15 I assume), then occasionally start dancing wildly
between 0 and +15, then settle back in at +15 and repeat.

First of all, I suspect the +15 is a little high for a charged battery (am I
correct?), and the jumping back and forth doesn't seem normal.  Could this
be a faulty voltage regulator?

As always, any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4
CT19389L