TR3 steering column

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 steering column
From: Sumton Network Services <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 04:31:01 -0700 (PDT)
Hello, all.

I can't be the first one to think of this.

I have a small mouth early TR3, with a one piece column.  I also have short
legs.  It occurred to me that I could cut the column in half, take out an inch,
and then put it back together.  Assuming that this welding shop I use (very
high quality and reliable) puts it back together correctly, including grinding
and polishing before its repainted, is there any reason why this is a bad idea?

anyone been there done that?

The adjustable column actually extends, not shortens it if I am not mistaken,
which I certainly don't need.

I could also do this with a two piece column, but then i would have to find
one, get it rebuilt, etc.

thanks!