TR4A timing

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A timing
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 08:00:17 -0400
I just got my newly restored 4A back.  It is running, but I thought I would
do the final tuning work myself.  I had already rebuilt the carburetors, and
I think they are mechanically fine.

The issue is that on idle, it will idle somewhat high (1000) initially (like
when coming to a traffic light) then gradually idle lower and lower until it
gets pretty rough at 600 rpm.  It usually holds there and dies not stall.
It SEEMS/SOUNDS like it is running rich at idle, but lifting the pins on the
carbs indicates the mixture is about right.

So, I want to start at square 1.  I want to check the timing, and I know how
to do the static timing method, but I want to avoid it for simplicity.

Does any one know what a timing light will show in the way of advance when
idling at 800.

The static advance is supposed to be 4 BTDC, but the mechanical advance
comes in at 350, and neither the mechanical advance curve nor the vacuum
advance curve are specified anywhere I can find.

Has anyone set the static timing then measured the timing with a timing
light (need one with the advance/retard knob on the light) to see what it
reads when set by the book? With and without vacuum advance?

Any ideas about the bogging down at idle?  I will be getting my colourtunes
out today as well.

I am in digest mode on the list, so please CC me personally too!

Thanks,

Tony