RE: Alignment

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alignment
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:20:22 -0700
> Bad news:
> 1.  They do NOT have grease nipples.

That means they are "lubricated for life" ...
IOW when they wear out due to old grease, you replace them <g>

County used to be known for being "cheap" but now that all the first-quality
suppliers have dried up, they're probably the best around.

> How do I "scribe" the tire? (as in the "scribe the middle of the
> tires and then measure the distance between the scribe marks on
> the two tires, front and back). What exactly is a scribe?

Oh dear, not the dictionary thread again !  "Scribe" means lots of things,
what I meant was to make a mark on the tire, which can be done with almost
any sharp, strong object.  I generally use the blade of my pocket knife
rather than hunting up a scribe (which is a sharp, hardened tool used to
scratch marks on wood or metal, similar in shape but not purpose to an awl).
http://www.use-enco.com/PDF/2004/612.pdf

No need to cut into the rubber of the tire (which is almost impossible
anyway, that stuff is tough !); just spin the wheel and hold the tip of the
knife against the tread as it spins.  This gives you a (temporary) reference
line that is guaranteed to be perpendicular to the wheel's axis.  Of course,
if your wheels are perfect, you can use the edge of the wheel instead (but
they're rarely perfect on such old cars).

> When I take it in to the alignment shop do I just show the specs?
> ("0 to 1/8")

Should be all they need.  You might want to ask them to check the camber and
castor too.  They're not normally adjustable on a TR2-6, but a large error
indicates a bent suspension piece that should probably be replaced.  Have
them record the measurements for you and do the comparison yourself ... this
helps keep them from just saying "they're fine" without actually doing the
measurements.

Randall