RE: Disc Wheels

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Disc Wheels
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:35:58 -0700
Cc: "doug" <dct49@charter.net>
>  I just got back from the So Cal TT ( check out socaltt.com in a couple of
> weeks for this years fun) .  600 miles through the mountains -from Dodger
> Stadium to Yucca Valley and back.

I'm on the mailing list, but couldn't make it this year.  Maybe next year
... if they do it next year.

> Some where along the trip
> I cracked the front wheel and only discovered it after it had split half
> way around the rim.

Wow, lucky it didn't finish the process before you found it !

> The question now is how do I test the rest of the
> wheels to avoid getting too far out of town before breaking another wheel?

I can't recall where offhand, but somewhere I've seen a technical article
from Ken Gillanders on this very subject.  ISTR he said that regular
magnafluxing was the best detection method (talking about racing of course)
but that the fledgling cracks could usually be seen with the naked eye if
you look for them.

Probably the best solution, for those who drive their cars hard, is to
replace the factory wheels.  However I've been fortunate, none of the TR6
wheels on my TR3A have cracked yet, so I'm going to continue running them
(and always carrying a spare) for the moment.

Randall