Fulcrum pin/Silent bloc removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fulcrum pin/Silent bloc removal
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:21:34 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
OK Folks,

I'm back at it.

The apron and radiator are off the car and I'm arguing with the tie rod ends
and fulcrum pins.

The outer tie rod ends were easy enough to separate with a "tie rod separator"
(pickle fork, right?).
I've managed to disconnect one of the fulcrum (steering) pins from the idler
arm bracket.  I am somewhat reluctant to wedge in the pickle fork on the
remaining fulcrum pin and start banging on the fork with a BFH because the pin
is almost directly connected to the steering box.  Is it OK for me to start
banging away anyway?
I read about holding a hammer against one side of the drop-arm, smacking it on
the other side with another hammer while trying to wedge it apart with your
third hand.  But there is not much room in there.

I'm thinking if I can get this fulcrum pin separated, then I can take the whole
linkage out the car and perhaps have an easier job of then removing the fulcrum
pins entirely and also the innner tie rod ends.

Incidentally, have I got this right - when you buy a "fulcrum pin", it comes
with the silentbloc bush already pressed on it?

Regards,  Adrian TS58324