RE: Fulcrum pin/Silent bloc removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fulcrum pin/Silent bloc removal
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 16:08:34 -0700
> I am somewhat reluctant to wedge in
> the pickle fork on the remaining fulcrum pin and start banging on
> the fork with a BFH because the pin is almost directly connected
> to the steering box.  Is it OK for me to start banging away anyway?

I suspect the correct answer is "no", even though I've always used the two
hammer approach.  I bought a pinch-type tie rod separator to use next time,
but I don't know if it will fit or not.  Using a pickle fork will generally
just force the washer off the end of the fulcrum pin, rather than separating
the pin from the Pitman arm.

> Incidentally, have I got this right - when you buy a "fulcrum
> pin", it comes with the silentbloc bush already pressed on it?

They are actually bonded together, not just pressed.  Thus, what you buy is
a "Silentbloc assembly", the pin is not available separately.  Factory (and
TRF) P/N 105063.  This includes the pin, rubber, and outer sleeve, which
will have to be pressed into the center link.

Randall