RE: Advice on Replacing an Instrument Cluster

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Advice on Replacing an Instrument Cluster
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:09:35 -0700
>  When I acquired my TR3 several years ago, it came with a
> aftermarket (perhaps hand-made) wood instrument cluster panel.  I
> thought it looked good at the time, but now it bothers me.   I
> have a metal instrument panel (unpainted) that came with the car
> as spare parts.  I plan to paint the metal instrument panel with
> black crinkle paint and swap the two out.  I also have a
> replacement temperature gauge I want to replace, so I figure I
> should do everything at once. Any advice about the order of dis-
> and re-assembly of the gauges and switches? Are there any tips
> for doing all this? Can I re-install all the insturments and
> switches before affixing the new instrument panel or do I have to
> re-intall everything once the new instrument panel is
> installed?

While it may be possible to install everything first, I would recommend
installing only the plastic lenses for the turn and generator warning lamps
before installing the panel.  Perhaps the oil gauge too (but I think that is
about the same either way).  Everything else is easier to wire up first and
then mount into the panel.  Have the switches all done before you put the
panel in place (in fact, you can just leave them attached to the wires while
you swap panels if you want), then wire the fuel gauge and ammeter with the
wires pulled through the holes in the panel.  Don't forget the ground wire
for the fuel gauge when you mount it.  Also don't lose the leather washer
between the oil gauge and the oil line ... otherwise it will drip hot oil on
your knee.  Make sure the oil line lines up with the gauge without any
strain on it, otherwise it will be difficult to get the nut to thread on
properly and the result may leak.

BTW, FT's black crinkle powder coat looks absolutely wonderful on my car's
panel.  Far better than my 5th attempt with a rattle can, even before the
rattle can paint started to fall off.  Only problem, it shows up just how
shabby the original covering for the rest of the dash is.

> Once I get to all this and I'm done, anyone interested
> in a wood instrument panel (for a modest fee)?

Sorry, I wouldn't want it even if you gave it to me ...

Randall