RE: TR6 Spark Plug Issue

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Spark Plug Issue
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:46:53 -0700
> > One possible explanation is glazing ... basically a conductive coating
> forms
> > on the ceramic surface, that conducts enough to bleed off the spark
> voltage
> > before it gets high enough to jump the gap.  The usual cause is a plug
> that
> > is running too hot, so I'd start by trying one range colder plugs.
> >
> > Randall
> ---------------------------
> Randall, would applying a light coat of dialectric to the ceramic
> help keep
> glaze and conductivity to a minimum, or would the heat do it in?

We're talking about inside the combustion chamber here ... I don't know of
any better dielectric than ceramic at those temperatures.  The 'glaze' is
deposited on the ceramic (basically melted fuel deposits is what I
understand it to be), so it would likely be deposited on anything else just
as well.  But in all honesty I've never tried it, since glazed plugs have
never been a problem for me.

Best solution IMO is to solve the plug overheating and/or fouling problem
that leads to the glaze.

Randall