TR6 ... black smoke

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 ... black smoke
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 08:50:37 -0700
Hi folks,
        Just picked up a 74 1/2 one owner TR6 w/overdrive, pretty
decent shape, runs strong and the overdrive works as advertised.
Drove it 180 miles home with no problems, good oil pressure, temp
never over 1/2 the gauge at freeway speeds (70-80 mph) ... however
... and you knew this was coming ... if you floorboard it, it
sputters and emits black smoke (not gray or white) from the exhaust,
if you gradually accelerate it works fine, and once up to speed runs
very smooth and strong.
        Since I know diddly about Strombergs, right now I am guessing
too rich on the carbs.  I would love to hear from the list that I am
guessing right, and dread the thought that there may be something
else (major/minor) wrong.

Thanks in advance ...
--
Bill  Pugh