RE: Rear Springs on a TR4

Subject: RE: Rear Springs on a TR4
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 06:57:09 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I'd be curious about the differences between late TR4 vs. the TR4A solid
> axle.

I have been told that the spring length is different, that 4A non-IRS rear
springs will not fit on earlier cars.  Since the frame (and hence the rear
spring mounting points) was completely redesigned, this makes sense to me.

The springs do have a different part number.

> For all I know they have roughly the same stiffness.

My TR4 workshop manual says the early/late TR4 springs have the same rate,
128 lb/in (+/- 5%).  There's also a 'competition' spring listed that does
not take the spacer, it's 155 lb/in.

I thought I had a TR4A workshop manual, but I can't seem to find it.  And
the Bentley doesn't have 4A non-IRS spring rates or dimensions, or even the
spring mounting points.

> I'm still curious what prompted Triumph to make the switch.

According to several books, it was to change the rear camber to improve
handling.  The WM says "... in order to reduce roll steer".

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: