Rear Springs on a TR4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Springs on a TR4
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:49:20 -0700 (PDT)
> FWIW
>
> If anything . .the O-turn and skidpad produced a good amount of understeer
> on my car.

That suggests to me that your tires are not up to the task ... you're
overloading the outside front tire and it's rolling under.  What tires and
tire pressure are you using ?

Randall

They are Summitomo HTR200 (I think)
They are 205 60 R 14.
Yes 14 . .  I put shelby slotted wheels on the car.
6" wide in front . . 7" wide in back.
The 7"ers have a LOT of offset that makes them stick out of the wheel wells . .
a little in back .. if I put them in front . . wow!  Real danger of rocks in
the road smacking into your forearm.  (thus the 6" in front)

At the autocross. . . I think I was running . . . 37psi or so.
Max on the tire is like 50psi I think.

It was kind of funny . . . all these guys kept asking me how I liked my tires.
I'm saying .. "well .. they seem to work just fine, and they were cheap.  I
really don't have much to compare it with honestly."

Then a few of them proceded to tell me they hated those tires.
Whatever.  I had loads of fun.  I may go back next weekend with the 165s on
stock rims for the morning runs.  That could REALLY be fun.

I didn't beat as many rice boys as I thought.

http://members.cox.net/capitaldrivingclub/08-01-04results.html

Its tough to run with guys who swap out to special sticky tires just for the
autocross.  They seem a little fanatical.  Of course maybe they should spend
less time watering down their tires and paying attention to the course.
Many of them couldn't seem to find their way around it properly.

I'll have to give some more thought to the car's suspension.

Thanks for the feedback / comments / suggestions / education though.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: