Re: Castrol - and matters of that ilk

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Castrol - and matters of that ilk
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:29:33 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk, ZoboHerald@aol.com
ZoboHerald@aol.com said:

> The story I was told over the years by several different "old-timers" was
> that the Castrol R (or whatever it's been called at various times) was
> supposed
> to be DRAINED out after the competition; it was NOT supposed to just sit
> there  in the crankcase until the next time the engine was fired up. NO
> idea how
> true  or just exactly what havoc was supposed to have been wreaked by such
> oil sitting  in the bottom of the sump over a dormant period, but....

>From my days flying R/C model aircraft with 2-stroke engines running on a
mixture of methanol, castor oil and nitromethane, I remember that the
castor oil hardened over time and turned into a sticky goo. It took a
pretty long time (think weeks/months) for this to happen. We tried to
remove the old oil as much as possible at the end of the season by
flushing the engine with methanol. That was more than 20 years ago. These
days, synthetic oils are used.

Eric

--
'57 TR3a TS23315L - black