RE: Castrol - and matters of that ilk

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Castrol - and matters of that ilk
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@nexant.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:47:41 -0500
> The story I was told over the years by several different
> "old-timers" was
> that the Castrol R (or whatever it's been called at various
> times) was supposed
> to be DRAINED out after the competition; it was NOT supposed to just sit
> there  in the crankcase until the next time the engine was fired
> up. NO idea how
> true  or just exactly what havoc was supposed to have been
> wreaked by such oil
> sitting  in the bottom of the sump over a dormant period, but....
>
> --Andy Mace

Hmmmm.  Sounds like the most successful marketing ploy in the Western
hemisphere.  I am referring to the instructions on the shampoo bottle to
"lather, rinse, repeat."  How many of us have done that, without thinking,
and used twice as much as we needed?  Maybe Castrol had the same general
idea!

Michael Marr
Naperville, IL
1960 TR3A