RE: Gear preservative?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gear preservative?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:06:02 -0700
> > So I'm looking for
> > ideas on
> > some kind of stuff to coat these things with and then pack them away.

> Isn't that what WD40 was designed for?

No.

Not surprisingly, it's not very good at it, either.

There are several products sold under the name Cosmolene, but I seem to have
gotten the wrong one, it doesn't work any better than the PDRP (I think it
is) that I was using before.  You really want something that goes on fairly
thin (so it penetrates well), and then dries.  The old military Cosmolene
would actually form a hard outer skin trapping oil next to the metal, but
the stuff I got in a spray can doesn't do that.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: