RE: Oil Pressure Gauge Capillary Tube

To: "Triumphs List \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Pressure Gauge Capillary Tube
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:21:42 -0700
> My TR4A, as other TR2-4's, have a capillary tube that runs from the oil
> regulator/filter to the pressure gauge.

It's not really a "capillary" tube, it's just an ordinary length of steel
(or plastic on later cars) tubing.

> I'm assuming that either;
> 1) the oil really doesn't run through the tubing but that the
> gauge reflects
> air pressure in the tube,

The gauge reads pressure.  It doesn't 'care' if the pressure is from air or
oil.  If there happens to be air trapped in the line, the oil will flow in
and compress the air until the pressure is balanced, meaning the gauge will
see the same pressure and read the same as if the air wasn't there.  It
might take a fraction of a second for the pressures to balance, but it's
still plenty quick.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: