RE: engine plate?

To: "tri" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: engine plate?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 23:10:19 -0700
> I have been told that to enable my TR3A car to use the engine from a TR4
> (that's a swap from a '60 to a '66) that I would need to use the engine's
> front plate from the TR3A to make it fit my car's frame.
> However, I have also
> noticed the '66's front plate has slightly smaller openings for both the
> crankshaft and camshaft insertion.  Is this gonna make a difference?

No, I don't believe so.  However, a '66 would most likely be a TR4A engine,
which means you probably want to keep the flywheel from your '3.  The 4A
flywheel only takes the 4A (and later) clutch, which is not as reliable as
the TR2-4 unit (although it is lighter) and also requires a different
throw-out bearing and front cover on the transmission.

Also, as Bill mentioned, keep your TR3A intake and exhaust manifold.  You
might also want to investigate the crankcase vent, I think a 4A would have
had the sealed system.  It wasn't very good, so my suggestion would be to
use the road draft tube and rocker cover off your TR3 engine.

Randall