TR6: engine won't stay running

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6: engine won't stay running
From: dougnicotera@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 17:17:50 +0000
List wizards,
Here's what I know: my 73 TR6 had its engine rebuilt this past spring. I've
driven it for about 60 or so miles and it developed clutch problems. So it's
been waiting to be fixed (and not been run) for about 4 months. I went to start
it this past weekend. It started up, ran for about 15-20 seconds, then poops
out. I've tried various methods to restart (choke in, choke out, gas pedal to
the floor, no gas pedal, etc). Seems as if it will start and run like this if I
manually prime it with the fuel pump lever. But same scenario--runs for a bit,
then dies. I'm thinking fuel issues (?) but don't know where to look next. Car
has been stored all this time out of the weather. Fuel lines are new. Nothing
else has been touched.
The twist: as I crank the engine while trying to start it, I will get what
seems to be an oil/gas smelling mix come out of my oil filler cap and run down
the rocker cover and down the engine. Never seen that before. Is that bad?
The questions:
Would the fuel pump operate if I can still manually prime the line (bad pump?)?
Bad fuel? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Doug Nicotera
 Harrisburg, PA