TR6: engine won't stay running

To: "INTERNET:dougnicotera@comcast.net" <dougnicotera@comcast.net>
Subject: TR6: engine won't stay running
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:47:03 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i72HlFt2005076
Message text written by INTERNET:dougnicotera@comcast.net
>The twist: as I crank the engine while trying to start it, I will get what
seems to be an oil/gas smelling mix come out of my oil filler cap and run
down the rocker cover and down the engine. Never seen that before. Is that
bad?
The questions:
Would the fuel pump operate if I can still manually prime the line (bad
pump?)?
Bad fuel? Any ideas?
<

Have you checked the dip stick lately?  Odds are the crankcase is full of
gasoline.  This could be from a leaky pump or a carb float that didn't
close off.  The abundance of gas in the crankcase can cause the engine to
die due to an overrich mixture from the crankcase vent system.  Change the
oil and filter and try again.

Dave