RE: Primary coil resistance?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Primary coil resistance?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:43:24 -0700
> Ignition key on, wire attached from negative coil
> terminal to engine ground, voltage read from positive
> coil terminal to different engine ground - 8.05 volts.

That indicates your TR6 has the ballast resistor incorporated in the wiring
harness.  Is this where you're getting power for the Pertronix from ?  If
memory serves, it has to have a source of +12v from before the ballast
resistance.  See
http://home.teleport.com/~cosa/vap/tech/pert/pertxhome.htm

> Resistance across coil terminals with all wires off -
> 3.5 ohms.  It's a Bosch coil (aprox. 20 years old).

That seems kind of high to be using it with an external ballast.  Shouldn't
make the Pertronix run worse than points, but it could make the engine not
run well with either one.

> The problem is that I really like the Pertonix unit

Why ?  Because it makes your engine run bad ?

Nevermind, don't answer that question !

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: