Re: Chassis Painting

To: "Paul Willoughby" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Chassis Painting
From: "Wayne Brazinski" <wayne@brazinski.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:55:38 -0400 (EDT)
I used POR 15 on my old frame, which I sold to a lister.  It does not
convert rust - you use a rust conveter first, then POR15. I was really
impressed with how strong / tough it was, and how all of my brush strokes
melted away leaving a glossy finish.

The selling point, I think, is that it is hardened by water not softened
like regular paint. Since water is required to create rust they feel it
makes them superior.

Wayne

>> Does anyone have any experience in using POR-15 to paint their chassis
>> and/or
>> other parts?  I am researching coatings for my chassis after I have it
>> cleaned.
>>
> I recently used POR-15 on my very surface rusty Mustang floorboards.  It
> seems to be a very good product.  It also seems to be extremely durable
> and
> very hard.  I accidentally let some run into the seat belt captive nuts.
> couldn't get a bolt to thread for the life of me.  Even running a tap was
> difficult.  I used three coats of the thicker silver POR-15.  It filled up
> the rust pits in the floors and I now have nice smooth, clean, silver
> floors.  They look brand new and ready for paint.  Highly recommended for
> floors, not sure about the chip resistance on the frame.  Seems like it
> would be fantastic.  Anyone have any experience with that?
>
> Side note/myth debunk:  I don't think that POR-15 is a rust converter.
> The
> way it works is by creating a barrier against moisture, thereby preventing
> the corrosion process.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: