RE: Compression Test Results

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Compression Test Results
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:10:19 -0700

MotoPsyche@aol.com replied :

> Thanks for the response.  Just out of curiosity, what psi numbers
> are  ideal
> given the 87mm pistons?  Just wondering what to shoot for.

Bill, the whole point of TeriAnn's post was that there is no "psi number to
shoot for".  What you should look for when doing a compression test is the
same number in all cylinders.  The actual number is affected by way too many
variables, only the variation is significant when checking for wear/leaks.

So, if all your cylinders read 120 psi, then your engine is fine.  But if
one reads 120 and the others all read 150, then there is something wrong.

>  see if the oil makes a  difference.

The oil will always make a difference, what you are looking for is whether
it makes a little difference or a big one.  Since your numbers are already
within +/- 5% (which is pretty good), there's really no reason to go looking
for trouble unless you really enjoy rebuilding engines and are just looking
for an excuse.

If that's the case, I have lots I'd be happy to let you practice on !

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: