RE: Oil Filters for TR3A Spin-ON

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Filters for TR3A Spin-ON
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:28:43 -0700
> My question -- if a filter (such as the one I mentioned) fits and is
> used on other 4-cylinder engines, is there some reason why it would not
> be suitable for the TRactor motor?  I have never really understood why
> there is a whole wall of filters of different shapes and sizes.

There are several reasons it might not be.  Here's a few :

1) anti-drain back valve (basically a check valve that prevents oil flowing
back out of the engine through the pump when the engine is not running).

2) bypass valve (to allow oil to flow around the filter when the filter is
clogged).  TRs don't need this, it's already in the filter head.

3) Filter flow rating.

4) Burst strength

http://www.deere.com/en_GB/parts_accessories/lube.html?sidenavstate=10000000
1
has some interesting information.  Not really applicable, but interesting.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: