RE: Oil Filters for TR3A Spin-ON

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Filters for TR3A Spin-ON
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:11:27 -0700
> "I do not know if your oil filters for your spin on unit will fit my TR3A.
> I cannot tell if the spin on unit on my car is yours.
> The filter currently on the car, however, is a BECK/ARNLEY 041-8988
>
> I would like to know if the filters in your catalog are compatible."

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong, but Moss normally does not answer questions
like that.  They don't want you to know what parts they supply, as otherwise
you might be tempted to buy elsewhere for less $$$.

> Checking the charts I find that a FRAM PH966B is a replacement
> but have not
> been able to find one as of yet on the shelf locally. Any
> comments on any of this?

Fram PH2870A is supposed to be a replacement for both PH966B and Beck-Arnley
418988.  They should be readily available at your local discount parts store
or possibly even Wally-Mart.

Since this will no doubt set off the semi-annual "filter bashing" thread,
let me say that I've used only Fram filters for many, many years; and never
once had a problem that I attributed to the filter.  There are lots of
pseudo-scientific "studies" around that talk about how bad they are, but
I've only seen one ever that actually measured how well Fram filters clean
the oil.  In that one study (done in Sweden as I recall), Fram placed in the
front half of the pack.

My Chevy ran some 250,000 miles without ever having the heads off, and I
never put anything but Fram filters on it.  My TR3A has over 300,000 miles
on it and has always worn Fram filters.  Although it's had the head off many
times and is about to again, I don't think you can blame valve seat
recession on the oil filter.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: