Operating shaft for Throwout bearing

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Operating shaft for Throwout bearing
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:30:17 -0700
Cc: <dmallin@attglobal.net>, <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, <dcmdcm@earthlink.net>, <dmallin@attglobal.net>, <Gary.Oehrle@infineon.com> i81JUBdM022931
All
In the process of installing a new throwout bearing, cross shaft,
etc etc, I have run into the following problem;
I am using the TRF RFK 1249 kit and when installed, the fork placement
is such that the spring between the housing and level is totally
compressed
and still the fork is forced to the left such that the throwing bearing
sleeve is very tight against the transmissions front end cover.
I took off the bearing/sleeve and measured between the fork pins and
transmission
front end cover and found them to be different by ~1/16 inch.

I recessed  the bushing  on the left and removed the spring and
reassembled.
I can now move the bearing and sleeve on the trans front end and even
turn
the sleeve.

Question: How necessary is the spring on the clutch operating shaft?
This gives
me the necessary 1/16 inch (plus) for a smooth operation.

Gary Oehrle

Check out the new British Cars Forum: