Re: Operating shaft for Throwout bearing

To: <Gary.Oehrle@infineon.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Operating shaft for Throwout bearing
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:29:20 -0400
Cc: <dmallin@attglobal.net>, <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, <dcmdcm@earthlink.net>, <Gary.Oehrle@infineon.com>
Oh this is a good one and it has me a bit riled up inside!

> I am using the TRF RFK 1249 kit and when installed, the
> fork placement is such that the spring between the
> housing and level is totally compressed and still the fork is
> forced to the left such that the throwing bearing sleeve is
> very tight against the transmissions front end cover.

In short, the problem is TRF and their manufacturer.  The fork pin is
drilled approx 2mm out of where it should be, and as you mentioned, if you
try to use the spring, the shaft/fork assembly binds on the TOB sleeve and
the clutch does not operate.

I've had to deal with this exact problem, over five years ago with a TRF
shaft.  I was so ticked off, I scrounged around and turned up an NOS shaft,
still in the original Stanpart wrapping.  I offered TRF, via discussions
with John Swauger, the correct dimensions and photos comparing the two
shafts.  He claimed there was absolutely nothing wrong with the TRF supplied
shaft, and then I promptly informed him that he could do something with
their shafts which would be too X rated for further discussion on this list.

These just are not single cases either, this shaft issue is a manufacturing
mistake that TRF will not own up to that has irritated many other people
(even a couple people on these lists who got the same excuses from TRF).

> Question: How necessary is the spring on the clutch
> operating shaft?  This gives me the necessary 1/16 inch
> (plus) for a smooth operation.

You can do as Dave at TRF says and delete the spring.  But that really is
not solving the issue correctly.

I implore TRF to correct the problem at the source!  [Come on' Charles!  I
know you guys have parts backordered out of the wazoo (like driveshaft bolts
and certain green hoses), but can you at least make the parts you do have in
stock fit correctly!]

The End.

Kai

--