RE: TR4 oil sump capacity increase

Subject: RE: TR4 oil sump capacity increase
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:38:13 -0700
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> On balance, I'd leave it well alone and use the spacer as a frame
> for either
> your favourite Triumph picture or round the edges and use it as a toilet
> seat in your Triumph Club mensroom :)

I'll not only second that, but point out that lowering the pan means it will
hang down below the frame.  If you find a "high center" to drive over,
instead of harmlessly dragging the frame, it's likely to rip the bottom of
the pan off.  Obviously you'll try to avoid that, but there are a lot of
scars on the bottom of my frame, and they aren't all from jacks !

After an oil cooler, the next favorite modification is adding an Accusump.
This is an external reservoir that holds additional oil under pressure, to
feed into the oil galleries (and so continue lubricating the engine) if the
oil pump sucks air for some reason (like a fast corner).

As far as adding longevity, I'd say the very first thing to do is get rid of
the original "rock catcher" air filters and get some paper elements on
there.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: