Re: TR4 oil sump capacity increase

To: <ScharfR@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 oil sump capacity increase
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:30:02 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bob, while I don't keep records of posts to the list, I don't recall over
the last five or so years of ever seeing posts about actual or perceived
deficiencies with the oil capacity on the wet liner 4. While I think that
many owners may derive a comfort factor from just having *more oil* in the
sump, what specific advantage(s) are gained? I suppose it could be argued
that a better move in having more available oil would be the fitment of an
oil cooler? At least the oil is having something done to it by being there,
rather than just sloshing around in a larger reservoir. IMHO, there would be
greater advantages for your engine by using a higher spec oil (mineral or
synthetic) and feeding it through a high quality spin-on filter than by just
giving it more.
>From what you have said about your driving frequency and style, it seems
very clear the engine in your car has an easy life and thereby gives you the
same as well? Perhaps by fitting this accessory you will only give yourself
something extra to worry about in modifying the engine to meet its revised
operating spec? Why not substitute worry for enjoyment by fixing the current
leak and then spend more time driving your TR because the engine fitted in
it is as tough as old boots and will take almost endless abuse before
something goes wrong. Somehow from what you have said, it seems that abuse
is the last thing you would want to give it?
On balance, I'd leave it well alone and use the spacer as a frame for either
your favourite Triumph picture or round the edges and use it as a toilet
seat in your Triumph Club mensroom :)

Jonmac

---