TR3A cooling again

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A cooling again
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:25:09 -0700
I am back with more cooling questions!

As you may remember, I live in Phoenix AZ, current temp is 1080 F at
5pm.  Last night it was 990F at 9pm.

I have:
1. removed the thermostat to simulate a better water pump
        (also bought a 1600F version sitting on my workbench)
2. blocked the bypass hose
3. flushed the entire system three different ways,
4. put on a "Geo Hahn air dam" to push a little extra air
        through the radiator.

And in 1000F ambient last night, I was still getting about 1950F
driving around without sustained high speed.

Yes, I know the argument about not using a thermostat making the
water flow through the radiator too quickly.  However, a colleague
argued that is exactly what a high volume water pump would do.  Your
thoughts?

I am thinking about punching out the thermostat part of the old 1800
thermostat & only installing the outer ring to slow the flow a
little.  Your thoughts?

Any other suggestions before a new radiator or water pump?

I am thinking that if the above fails, I will go for putting in a
higher capacity radiator rather than the pump (based on the theory
above).  Again your thoughts.

Thanks once again,

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CPE