TR2/4A Rear Crank Seal by Hardy

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2/4A Rear Crank Seal by Hardy
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 18:27:56 EDT
Cc: HRPTR3@aol.com
Perhaps someone will save this, it took some time to dig it out.

I spent months researching this item for my championship TR3
I also have done quite a number of street motors.

 Making the factory seal work is not that difficult.
 the factory TR4 manual is a bit better than the TR2/3 one,
 but both have a CRITICAL Error
 The alignment tool needs to be 2.818" where it fits inside
 the seal.  The rest of the drawings in the TR2/3 & TR4 factory
 manuals will work.
I was given a tool made to the workshop manual size, and the motor that I
built
 leaked oil running on the dyno (no G forces in the sump) very badly.

 To make the tool is much less expensive than
 one of the "ruin your crank for other uses" kits.

 Rule A  if the seal is working OK do not mess with it.  There is never
 a need to boil one of these blocks.  The water jacket can be cleaned by
 hand/grinder.  Just glue the old fig 8 gaskets in to protect the fig 8
 seats.
 1. use the tool to check the seal's ID for size and roundness.
 2. hand work can usually make the seal fit the tool very well
       or try another seal
 3. Install the tool in the block and rear main cap first and carefully check
that the
seal halfs will fit in the block recess with the tool in place.
 There have been seals made where the step OD was too big (the part just in
front of the flange that the seal retaining set screws go through)   A problem
here can be fixed by a
 hand file.
    If you omit this step, you can destroy the seal and not realize
 it until too late.
 4. Use silicone seal between the seal and block.  Use it also
 on the seal split line, but VERY thinly so that it does NOT block
 the internal threads.
 5.  Do not move the seal when you tighten the set screws.
 6 Do not hash the seal when you lay the crank in place.
 7.  follow the manual carefully.  The felt cap sealing needs to be
 soaked in something like aviation permatex, short pieces at a
 time, and then be driven in.  A hex key works OK.

 Lets face it, millions of miles on thousands of motors have been
 covered with this seal.  My race motor uses this seal, as does
 my street TR3A.

                       Good Luck from a TR3 Racer

   Hardy Prentice

Check out the new British Cars Forum: