RE: Cam end float

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cam end float
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 09:57:00 -0700
> I put the front plate and cam back in yesterday on the TR2 block. The
> workshop manual mentions measuring the endfloat, the tolerances are
> really wide .004 to.075, something like that.

I think you're missing a zero, my book says .003" to .0075", a range of only
4.5 thousandths.  If the camshaft wanders back & forth any appreciable
distance, it will affect the ignition timing.

> My question, if I am
> replacing the same cam and the same front bearing (I have a running
> in the block type) how can the end float, as I understand it, have
> changed?.

If you're putting back all original components, then the clearance should be
the same as when you took it apart.  But if all the clearances were all
within spec then there would be no reason to take it apart in the first
place !

> My cam does move quit a bit forward and back, but when I
> put the cam wheel on does this mean the movement is restricted by the
> wheel bearing on the face of the front bearing ?.

Yes, you can only check the clearance with the wheel installed. The rearward
movement of the cam is limited by the wheel hitting the front face of the
bearing.  Easiest way to do this is by temporarily assembling the front
bearing & chainwheel onto the camshaft before they're installed in the
engine.  Then you can measure the clearance directly with feeler gauges,
between the back of the bearing and the flange on the camshaft.

Once they're installed in the engine, you pretty much have to use a dial
indicator.  (Cheap but effective dial indicators can be had for under $25 in
the US, but I've no idea where to look in Ireland.)

> On another note I used one of those thick black composite gaskets for
> the front plate, this visibly moves the plate forward, should I have
> used the paper type?.

I can't think of any definite problems this would cause, but be sure to
check the alignment of the chainwheels carefully.  You can use shims between
the lower wheel and the front main bearing to move the wheel into alignment.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: