RE: Front end Rebuilt - Now shimmy

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Front end Rebuilt - Now shimmy
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 09:30:34 -0700
> The problem?  at speeds above about 40 - there is a big shimmy in
> the car.  Not
> felt throuth the steering wheel particilarly, but the whole car.

How did you have the wheels balanced after the new tires were installed ?  I
had a somewhat similar problem with my motorhome that was solved by
bubble-balancing (instead of spin-balancing) the front wheels.  Doesn't make
a lot of sense, but it was suggested by a friend that ran a tire shop for a
long time, and it worked for me.

Whichever balancing method you use, be sure the machine engages the tapered
mounting surfaces of the wheel.  Or another possibility is to find a shop
that can still balance them "on the car".

> The  car also does not want to "center" after turning - it will
> continue in the
> arc turned and not try to straighten out.  It seems a little
> darty and wants to
> turn in on cornering.

I assume it's not the same problem, but when my TR3A did that, it turned out
that the frame had rotted around the front lower suspension mounts, and they
were considerably out of place.

Even if that's not it, this problem is almost certainly bad alignment of
some sort.  Take it to a different alignment shop than you used before, and
ask that they measure and record the toe-in, plus caster and camber on both
sides.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: