TR6 gearbox to engine re-assembly

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 gearbox to engine re-assembly
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:21:41 -0400
Cc: <saabguy18@aol.com>
I'm a few days away from re-attaching my 1973 TR6 gearbox to the engine after
replacing the clutch and related wear items. This is my first foray into such
an operation and I have a question or two.

I've been using the Bently manual as my main reference. I noticed in TRF's
catalogue that they mention two 3/8" "dowel bolts" (at 2 and 8 o'clock
positions) that should be inserted first to locate the bellhousing to the
engine. In his book, Roger Williams also mentions two 3/8" locating bolts
should be fastened first. Bently makes no mention of this. When I originally
removed the bellhousing, all of the bolts were the same.

So my first question is: do those two locating bolts make a difference? Should
I go get two of them?

The second question is: did the lack of those two bolts contribute to my
clutch acting crappy in the first place?

Thanks in advance--I'll be working on it this weekend.

Doug Nicotera

Check out the new British Cars Forum: