RE: Does this indicate a generator failure?

To: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Does this indicate a generator failure?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:04:51 -0700
> This evening, I verified all of my connections, and hooked up a voltmeter
> between the "D" and "E" terminals on the control box.  When I started the
> engine, the voltmeter (digital) showed less than one volt at idle.  As I
> increased rpms, it started behaving erratically - numbers
> flashing all over
> the place.  I switched to an analog meter.  The analog meter gave a steady
> reading, but I was unable to coax more than 3 volts out of the
> generator at
> 3,000 rpms.
>
> Would this seem to indicate a failed generator?

Hard to be certain with that information, Kurtis.  A bad regulator could act
the same way.

Try repeating your test, but with the voltmeter between the D and F
terminals at 3000 rpm.  If you see any voltage here at all (with the voltage
between D and E still below 12v), then the regulator is bad.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: