Does this indicate a generator failure?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Does this indicate a generator failure?
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:43:31 -0500
Greetings,

When I started my car up this morning, I noticed that the needle on the
ammeter did not move (indicating no charge).  I turned on the headlights and
revved the engine to confirm that I was getting no charge (the brightness of
the headlights did not change).  I assumed that something had come loose, so
I parked the car and drove something else.

This evening, I verified all of my connections, and hooked up a voltmeter
between the "D" and "E" terminals on the control box.  When I started the
engine, the voltmeter (digital) showed less than one volt at idle.  As I
increased rpms, it started behaving erratically - numbers flashing all over
the place.  I switched to an analog meter.  The analog meter gave a steady
reading, but I was unable to coax more than 3 volts out of the generator at
3,000 rpms.

Would this seem to indicate a failed generator?

Thanks as always,

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4