RE: Moss Motors

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Moss Motors
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:09:08 -0700
> The one  item
> I didnt get was SS caliper pistons. I gave them a few days then
> e-mailed  them
> for a status report. The response was less than enthusiastic. They said
> there is no time line available, figure 3 to 4 weeks!! Is it me
> or is that  pretty
> poor customer service?
> Anyone know which vendor is MORE reliable and customer friendly?

I'm afraid you simply are not going to find better ... it's essentially
impossible.

LBC parts makers are diminishing in number and many if not most items are
already "single source" and available only from small manufacturers.  Lead
times are sometimes completely unpredictable, sometimes as capricious as
Hurricane Ivan (or similar) wiping out the only production facility.  When
something like that happens, the manufacturer may well decide to not bother
retooling for such a low volume product, and so the item may not be
available at all until a new manufacturer perceives a (profitable) need,
tools up, does a run, tests the product, ships it to resellers (like Moss)
and so on.

There have been periods in the past where particular LBC parts remained
unavailable for years or even decades (eg the TR2-3 control head).  Compared
to that, 3-4 weeks is nothing.  Especially for an "upgrade" part, where the
original part is still readily available (and perfectly adequate IMO).

Frankly, if you want to always be able to buy any part you feel like, I'd
suggest you drop the LBC hobby and take up something like Chevys.  But make
sure it's a newer model, there are already major parts for my 1980 Chevy
(like shocks) that are simply NLA ...

My $.002, YMMV, NFI, etc.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: