Re: TR6 Carburetor Problems

To: Chip19474@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Carburetor Problems
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 07:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
Chip19474@aol.com wrote:
>Hi Chad,

>Are you saying that the idle fluctuates but the motor pulls well from off-idle
>up to >2700rpm then gets lean on you?  If so, and given what you've done and
>that the >motor ran okay before you rebuilt the carbs, it sounds to me that
>perhaps you don't >have the needles adjusted as rich as you think.  It might
>be good to remove the >damper chambers and check the position of the needles
>in the air valves to be >certain that they truly are up as far as they should
>go.  One other thing to check is >that you have the air valves put back
>correctly - the two small holes in the bottom of >the air valves should face
>the motor.

-----------------

No.  The motor will go from idle to 2700 to 1300 to idle to 2400 to 1000 to
2600 to 0....restarts.....1200 for a while, then will take itself up to 2500 or
so.  It just goes all over the place.  It will sometimes idle fine for several
minutes, then just accelerate smoothly on its own!  Its like the demon posessed
engine!

The car pulls strong on the road and runs smoothly once I get on the road and
running.

The airvalves are installed correctly.

I turned the needle adjustment screws fully clockwise.  That should pull them
up to their max.

This car had been in storage since 1989, and I never had it running before
rebuilding the carbs.

I base my comment on running lean by following the instructions in the bently
manual.  They say if when you raise the air piston 1/4' at idle, if the rpm
drops, then the mixture is lean, if rpm increases, the mixture is rich.  My rpm
drops when I do it on either carb.

Yike.....I'll whip this thing yet!  I appreciate all the help / suggestions to
date!

Regards,

Chad

Check out the new British Cars Forum: