TR6 Carburetor Problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Carburetor Problems
From: Chad Jester <triumph74tr6@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:43:09 -0700 (PDT)
List-

This has me stumped.  I've fully rebuilt the carburetors on a '76 TR6 I
have.  The car acts like it is running lean, and idles erratically.

I have rechecked the float level....spot on with specs.

I have replaced the temperature compensators with NOS parts....no
help....put old ones back.

I have adjusted the mixture as rich as possible.

I'm beginning to suspect the bypass valves, but I can't get the car to
run stable enough to check their adjustment.  I did block off the air
passages leading to the bypass valves to see if it would make any
difference....didn't.

The engine will run from an OK idle to 2700 rpm with no throttle
movement.  It wanders all over the place and will sometimes slow down and
die.  It will immediately restart.

Fuel delivery is not a problem.

I've checked for vacuum leaks...none.

The throttle shafts are tight...no leakage.

Any ideas????

I've rebuilt plenty of TR6 carbs....never had a problem like this!

TIA!

Chad

Check out the new British Cars Forum: