Re: Crud in Exhaust Manifold

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>, 6-Pack <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Crud in Exhaust Manifold
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:32:15 -0400
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
To all who replied about the exhaust manifold crud, I think Randall may
have hit it on the head.  Most of the residue was by the air injection
tubes which are located in the first curve, but there seemed to be a
layer all the way thru to the exhaust.  I was going to bead blast it out
before sending it for ceramic coating, but to be on the safe side, I'll
let them do the blasting and or cleaning.  Since they  specialize in
headers and manifolds, I assume they would know how to treat this.
Thanks for everyones input.  John Mitchell  76 TR6

Randall wrote:

>>Hi guys,    Im about to send my late model exhaust manifold(76 TR6) with
>>the air injector tubes out for ceramic coating.  I noticed that in some
>>runners where the tubes exit the manifold, there is a putty like hard
>>substance.  It's white inside and coated with soot on the outside.
>>There's also some of this inside where the manifold connects to the
>>exhaust pipes.  Is this something that should be there or can I chip
>>this out?  Is it there to seal those tubes somehow.  Its only in a
>>couple of the runners but it must really restrict flow.    Any Ideas
>>what this is?
>>

>Just a WAG ... sounds like lead oxide left behind when the engine was run on
>leaded fuel.  I'd be very careful about ingesting/breathing it ...
>
>Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: