Crud in Exhaust Manifold

To: 6-Pack <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Crud in Exhaust Manifold
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:14:20 -0400
Hi guys,    Im about to send my late model exhaust manifold(76 TR6) with
the air injector tubes out for ceramic coating.  I noticed that in some
runners where the tubes exit the manifold, there is a putty like hard
substance.  It's white inside and coated with soot on the outside.
There's also some of this inside where the manifold connects to the
exhaust pipes.  Is this something that should be there or can I chip
this out?  Is it there to seal those tubes somehow.  Its only in a
couple of the runners but it must really restrict flow.    Any Ideas
what this is?   TIA    John Mitchell    76 TR6

Check out the new British Cars Forum: