Temperature Sending Unit

To: "INTERNET:Harlyred1@aol.com" <Harlyred1@aol.com>
Subject: Temperature Sending Unit
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:23:30 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i83KNldM010237
Message text written by INTERNET:Harlyred1@aol.com
>the wire leading from the temp sending unit  to the  temperature gauge is
cut. I see that is is normally atttached directly  to a stud connected to
the
needle in the gauge in one end and to  the temp sending unit  in the other.
Can
I just splice some heavy  gauge wire or even solder it to the gauge ? Any
ideas as always are appreciated.  Searching through the vendors I can't
find just
this piece alone.
 <

The temperature sending unit is a thermistor (a resistor who's resistance
changes with temperature).  What ever wire you put in there should have a
total resistance that is insignificant compared to the working resistance
of the sender.  Considering the lenght of the wire needed, just about any
wire will suffice but you might want to use 18 AWG or 16 AWG for mechanical
reasons.  Larger diameter wire than 16 will be too stiff and smaller wire
than 18 will not be as robust and tolerant of the occasional abuse it may
receive.

But be nice to the next owner and find a wire that is more or less the
right color.

cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3