Front end Rebuilt - Now shimmy

To: "" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front end Rebuilt - Now shimmy
From: "" <chammock@iquest.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 09:09:51 -0500
It never ends
RR#1 (60 tr3a) is rebuilt and running
New front suspension completely - all bushings, trunnions, shocks, evrything
that moves except wheel bearings- which checked out fine.  New vertical link on
one side, rotors, calipers.  Steering box not rebuilt - bearings checked out
fine - pegs on backorder from TRF.  New tires and shocks.

The problem?  at speeds above about 40 - there is a big shimmy in the car.  Not
felt throuth the steering wheel particilarly, but the whole car.
I checked the wheel bearings and tightened after bedding in.  Moved tires
around front to back - one side at a time.  Checked toe-in - seems to be about
1/8".  HAve jsckeed the car up and spun wheels (48 spoke wires) to see if one
ins noticeably out of round.  While none are perfect, none seem to be out too
far.

The  car also does not want to "center" after turning - it will continue in the
arc turned and not try to straighten out.  It seems a little darty and wants to
turn in on cornering.

I'm stumped - I've checked everything - obviously mising somethign.  Any ideas
based on your experiences and these symptoms?

Thanks in advance
Perry Hammock
TR3- post 70,000LO
Rat Roadster#1