RE: bad habit - stuck in first

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: bad habit - stuck in first
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:39:54 -0700
> I think the bad habit is that years ago I got so I always shift into
> first or second (to use the synchro to 'stop' the input cluster from
> spinning) and then into reverse.

I've been doing that for 30 years now, IMO it's the right way to do it.

> I must have gone into first and then in
> haste lifted the lever up and out of the first/second selector shaft.

Must be something wrong with your shift cover then.  It should be impossible
to lift the shift lever high enough to go over the edge of the selector.
We're talking about a 1/2" of movement in a mechanism that should only have
1/4" or less of clearance.  Plus, the interlocks in the cover should prevent
selecting reverse if both the 1-2 and 3-4 shafts are not in their neutral
positions.

Perhaps, if the big spring on the shift lever was broken/missing AND the
interlock was broken/missing...

I think it's more likely the box wound up in second with the shift cover in
neutral.  The only way I can see that happening is if the 1-2 shift shaft is
actually broken, or the taper pin that holds the shift fork to the shaft is
either missing or broken.  I've seen the shaft break through where it's
drilled for the taper pin, and there might possibly be enough friction to
let you shift into 1st sometimes.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: