TR3A Rear End

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3A Rear End
From: "Wayne Brazinski" <wayne@brazinski.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 09:01:37 -0500
Welcome back one and all!  Jack Drews was right - absence does make the
heart fonder.

While we have been stranded I decided to fix the oil seal leak on my rear
axle.  Well - one half shaft came out fine, and I've been beating on (or
should I say pulling) on the other for 2 evenings.  Using a 13 pound slide
hammer I've broken a chain and cable.  It won't budge - something is badly
mangled.

Given the fact I have a spare rear end from a 1960 car sitting in the garage
I'm going to test for half shaft removal today.  If they come out nice and
easy I'm going to use the replacement rear end - my car also has a later
axle.  Before this I was only planning to replace the oil seals.  Since I'm
now replacing the WHOLE axle I guess I will send the half axles to the kind
lister in Wisconcin who can press off the hubs for me so I can fit new
bearings and grease seals

So - here are the questions:

1) I can't get the backing plate off the one side because the half shaft
won't come off - any suggestions?
2) Apart from painting and half shaft / bearing replacement what else should
I do for preventative maintenance?  Is there a bearing/seal by the UV joint
I should look at?
3) What about putting the 4.x gears in instead of the 3.7?
4) Any other tips to increase lifespan - increase durability would be most
appreciated!

regards,

Wayne

Check out the new British Cars Forum: