RE: TR6 Starter goes on and on

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Starter goes on and on
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:35:20 -0700
> The starter on my 74 TR6 has developed a sticky problem. Started
> with short
> little events during startup, where the starter would stay
> engaged after the
> motor started, and after the key was switched to the drive
> position. Evolved
> to where the starter would stay engaged after the key was turned
> to the off
> position, and I had to stop things by disconnecting the battery cable.

Next time, try stopping it by pulling the small wire(s) off the starter
solenoid.  If the starter continues to run, it's a problem with the starter
and/or solenoid, not the switch or relay.

I would think the solenoid or relay are more likely culprits, but methodical
testing is the only way to be sure.  Random replacement gets so expensive

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: