RE: TR4A Electrical System

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR4A Electrical System
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 22:24:38 -0700
> I'm now working on the electrical system, and although the wiring
> diagram is of some help, I was wondering if someone could provide a few
> words on how the charging circuit works (i.e. the relationship between
> the generator, voltage regulator, ammeter and battery).

The "voltage regulator" (aka control box, one of the few times the English
phrase is more apt than the American one) actually serves three functions :
it limits both the voltage and the current from the generator as well as
disconnecting the generator from the battery when the engine is not running.

The battery provides power to the starter, and to the rest of the car when
the generator is not turning fast enough to supply all the required power.

The ammeter monitors (with a few exceptions) whether the net flow of current
is into the battery (ie the battery is being charged) or out of the battery
(discharge).

The generator supplies power to the car when the engine is running, and
recharges the battery if necessary.

> Also, in my box of electrical items I appear to have a steering column
> mounted light switch, a dash mounted light switch and a floor mounted
> high beam switch. Which ones are appropriate for the vehicle?

I can't lay my hands on my 4A owner's manual at the moment, but I'm fairly
sure it should have a floor-mounted dimmer switch, and a column-mounted main
light switch (including "flash to pass").  The dash switch might be for the
heater or wipers ...

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: