RE: Gland Nut

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Gland Nut
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:47:19 -0700
> I need to remove the control head from the steering wheel of Casper
> (1957 TR3), when I loosen/remove the gland nut on the steering gear
> box, will the lubricant run out??

It should.

However, it's not necessary to remove the gland nut and stator tube.  After
trying both ways, I've decided it's slightly easier (for me) to leave the
stator in place and just pull the wires through.  Last time I cleaned and
lubed the control head, I didn't even pull the wires all the way through,
just far enough to let me disassemble the head while sitting in the driver's
seat.

If you pull the wires all the way out, you'll need a length of baling wire
or similar to pull them back through.  Wrap the baling wire around the
control head wires between the end of the outer insulation and the nearest
bullet, then wrap a single layer of electrical tape around the bullets and
the baling wire.  You can then poke the baling wire through the stator tube,
and use it to pull the control head wires into place.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: